Michael S. Batson Shareholder
- State Bar Admissions
- United States District Court
- United States Court of Appeals
- First Circuit
- Second Circuit
Michael Batson represents insurers and policy holders, individuals and corporations in complex litigation matters. He has 20 years of experience handling civil, commercial and class action litigation, construction law, insurance coverage and defense, environmental law, complex tort and product liability law.
Michael also represents clients in connection with claims for coverage on general liability, property, professional liability, directors and officers liability, umbrella and excess policies, and fidelity and surety bonds. He regularly advises owners, general contractors and subcontractors in construction-related litigation, including breach of contract claims and claims involving defective workmanship, personal injury and wrongful death. Additionally, Michael’s broad background includes handling matters involving defamation claims, non-construction-related breach of contract claims, stockholder disputes, fraud claims, bad faith claims, building leaks and violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Martins, et al. v. Vermont Mutual Insurance Company
Attained dismissal of plaintiff’s direct and class claims in action brought against insurer seeking third-party coverage and damages pursuant to M.G.L. c. 93A for the alleged diminution in value of plaintiff’s vehicle.
Johansen, et al. v. Liberty Mutual Group, Inc., et al. v. Precise Leads, Inc., et al.
Attained favorable resolution of matter on behalf of client in connection with claims seeking indemnity for alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, including denial of motion to add M.G.L. c. 93A claims against client.
Crosby Valve, LLC, et al. v. OneBeacon America Insurance Company, et al.
Attained favorable summary judgment ruling on behalf of insurer clients regarding duty to defend and right to control defense of underlying lawsuits.
Morgan, et al. v. Massachusetts Homeland Insurance Company
Denial of class certification attained and affirmed by Massachusetts Appeals Court in action brought against insurer pursuant to M.G.L. c. 93A regarding the handling of total loss automobile claims. Dismissal of named plaintiff’s direct claim following 4-day trial attained and affirmed by Massachusetts Appeals Court.
Mueller Co. n/k/a/ Mueller Co. Ltd., et al. v. Commercial Union Insurance Company n/k/a OneBeacon America Insurance Company, et al.
Attained favorable resolution of matter on behalf of insurer client, including favorable summary judgment ruling regarding number of occurrences under Illinois law.
Collins, et al. v. Locks & Keys of Woburn, Inc., et al.; National Vocational Schools of Boston, Inc., et al. v. Locks & Keys of Woburn, Inc.
Attained favorable class action settlement for small business owner regarding claims brought on behalf of class for alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Meaney, et al. v. OneBeacon America Ins. Co. f/k/a Commercial Union Ins. Co., et al.
Attained favorable class action settlement for insurance company regarding claims brought on behalf of class for alleged failure to pay post-award interest on arbitration awards
OneBeacon America Ins. Co. v. Haffner’s Service Stations
Summary judgment attained and affirmed by Massachusetts Appeals Court for insurer on grounds that automobile insurance policy did not cover oil discharge resulting from negligent repair services.
OneBeacon America Ins. Co. v. Travelers Indem. Co. of Ill
Secured First Circuit decision reversing the District Court and ordering that summary judgment be entered in favor of OneBeacon providing for reformation of an insurance policy.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
American Bar Association
- Member, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Appellate Advocacy Committee
- Business Litigation Committee
- Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Litigation and Trial practice Committee
- Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee
- Member, Litigation Section
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Appellate Practice Committee
- Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee
- Commercial and Business Litigation Committee
- Construction Litigation Committee
- Consumer Litigation Committee
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Mass Tort Litigation Committee
Massachusetts Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Complex Commercial Litigation Section
- Civil Litigation Section
- Labor & Employment Section
Boston Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Section
- Member, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Member, Business and Commercial Litigation Section
- Member, Insurance and Tort Litigation Section
Defense Research Institute
Boston Bar Foundation
- Society of Fellows
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Super Lawyers, Boston Top Rated Civil Litigation Attorney, 2020
- Massachusetts "Rising Stars" in the field of civil litigation defense, recognized by the publishers of Law & Politics and Boston Magazine, 2009-2019
- Superb Rated from Avvo, Inc., 2012-2020